Delicious Summer Iced Teas and Cocktails
Posted on May 15 2023
Herbal iced teas are all the rage right now and for good reason. Not only are they healthy, but they make for the perfect summer drink and can easily be dressed up to create an impressive aperitif, no matter the occasion.
Homegrown, Rooibos tea is incredibly versatile, which makes it an ideal base for any drink. Whether your taste-buds are craving something sparkly or spicy, here are five expert tips for making flavorful and vibrant iced teas:
- Use cooled Rooibos tea as your base and make it as strong as you can by using loose-leaf tea or extra tea bags if you’re in a hurry, to extract the maximum amount of flavor. If you typically use one teaspoon of loose-leaf tea or a sachet per cup, double it up. Use a large pot and let the tea brew for at least 5-10 minutes or longer.
- Once cooled, experiment with your favorite summer fruits that will add a healthy and delicious taste to your iced tea. Try watermelon and mint or strawberries for a burst of flavor. If you prefer something more citrussy, brew the tea with a bit of lemongrass and garnish with slices of lemon or lime.
- For a sweeter drink, use lemonade or honey instead of sugar. Pomegranate juice also adds natural sweetness and will give your iced tea a vibrant color.
- To create a spicy, yet cooling iced tea, try Rooibos chai tea and add some whole spices to make it look the part too.
- For an elegant, iced brew, add rosebuds and rose water for a subtle flavor and aroma of roses. The sky is really the limit!
For some inspiration, try these refreshing recipes:
Rooibos Iced Tea Recipe
Enjoy the refreshing and healthy taste of Rooibos Iced Tea as a delightful alternative to sugary soda. This recipe will help you beat the heat during the summer months. Prepare a jug of this delicious iced tea and keep it in the fridge for instant refreshment.
8 rooibos tea bags
1 cinnamon stick
4 whole cloves
6 thin slices of ginger
4 cups (1 liter) of boiling water
4 cups (1 liter) of chilled 100% grape, apple, or berry juice
Lemon juice, to taste
Ice cubes, mint leaves, fresh fruit, or lemon slices for serving
In a large glass jug, place the tea bags, cinnamon stick, cloves, and ginger slices.
Pour the boiling water over the ingredients in the jug. Give it a good stir and allow it to cool for approximately 2 hours.
Once cooled, remove the tea bags, ginger slices, and spices from the jug.
Add the chilled juice to the tea and stir well.
Season the tea with lemon juice according to your taste preference.
Serve the Rooibos Iced Tea ice-cold, accompanied by ice cubes, mint leaves, fresh fruit, or lemon slices for garnish.
Enjoy this rejuvenating Rooibos Iced Tea, packed with flavor and perfect for hot summer days. Stay hydrated and savor the natural goodness of this refreshing beverage.
Rooibos champagne punch
· 1 liter strong, hot Rooibos tea
· 1 liter orange juice
· 1 liter pineapple juice
· 1 bottle (750ml) sparkling wine
· Crushed ice
· 1 orange, thinly sliced
- Dissolve sugar in Rooibos tea
- Allow to cool
- Add orange and pineapple juices and chill
- Add chilled sparkling wine and crushed ice
- Garnish with orange slices